Saturday, August 3, 2013

Progesterone Lab and Embryo Stats

Today I had to go into Emory for bloodwork to check my progesterone levels. Progesterone is the hormone that prevents you from miscarrying, and so they check it early to make sure everything is perfect. I've always had great progesterone levels so I wasn't too worried. The nurse called with the results. They want the level to be at the minumum of 20, and I'm over 40 so I'm doing awesome. Thank you progesterone shots! Progesterone levels don't really indicate pregnancy or not, so I have nothing too exciting to report.

In other news, Greg and I were so concerned they were going to do an embryo switch on us again like they did last time. When I expressed this concern to the Dr she looked at me like she was crazy. But last time, we asked for the two best embryos to be put in. When I called last December, the nurse told me that the best and the worst embryos were transferred and the medium one was frozen. This made me a little upset because clearly that is not what we requested, but not too angry since it was successful and we had Julia. On Wednesday I requested the records of the embryo stats from our cycles and got a copy today. Turns out, they let the worst embryo grow one more day and instead of degenerating it turned from a 1CC to a 2BC, and then they froze it. That makes a lot of sense! So at the time, they did transfer the two best embryos. How strange that the worst turned into a better embryo the next day! Not that it's an amazing embryo, but it's okay.

The quality of the ones frozen from this cycle are a 3BB- and a 3BC. I asked the Dr if we could freeze one of the 4's and put a 3 and a 4 in on Wednesday and have a 3 and a 4 in the freezer. She said the chances of pregnancy would still be the same with the size 3 embryos, and that they are "really solid embryos." She recommended we transfer both 4's and freeze both the 3's, so we went with that. She did not feel that the 4's were remarkably better than the ones we froze.

Emory never called back on Thursday about the two embryos they wanted to grow another day. I got a hold of them on Friday and found out they had degenerated. I'm okay with that. I really didn't need 5 snowbabies in the freezer. Three already kind of freak me out.

If you couldn't follow any of this, don't worry about it. It's mostly for my record. What a bizarre life I live that this is what I have to do to get pregnant. I'm grateful I live in the day and age where the technology exists, but it is mind blowing!

No comments: