Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Happy Ending

I have felt incomplete having never finished up this blog. So this is the info that I neglected to write down after we found out the good news.

First of all, everything went perfectly with this pregnancy. My numbers were always good, my ultrasounds were perfect, and a lot of the worry and stress I had the first two cycles was not present this time.

On Monday, August 25th, we had our first ultrasound. I couldn't sleep the night before, and I was very worried. Here's the journal entry:

"I had a hard time eating lunch, but it helped me a little, and Greg’s calm presence helped me the most. He just felt certain everything was going to be fine. We got called into the ultrasound room pretty quickly, and Kimberly said she noticed that my numbers had tripled and so she too was expecting twins. She immediately saw TWO when she put in the magic wand. Greg said, “Where? I don’t see two!” and she pointed them out to him. I said, “Do they have heartbeats?” “Yes!” and she pointed them out and we could see both little hearts beating. That was when it really hit me. We are having twins. There are two babies, two beating hearts in me. It was an earth-shattering moment, and I don’t know how to explain it. I was fully expecting twins, and yet I’m totally in shock that I have two babies inside this belly. It seems surreal.

"I was so relieved they were alive that I teared up a little bit. The heartbeats were excellent – 113 for
Baby A and 109 for Baby B. They implanted directly on top of each other so they’re both on the same side of the uterus. Kimberly said that’s fine, it’s just the way they implanted. I wonder if that means I’ll carry bigger since I’m already popping out."



The first weeks were terrible with horrible nausea. I could barely function and laid on the couch all the time. I finally got a prescription for Zofran from Emory when I went in for my new ultrasound, September 5th. Another journal entry:

"The ultrasound was perfect today. The babies are measuring right on target and the heartbeats were
159 and 169. Two over-achievers! Baby B was hanging upside down…maybe the next Batman. I really have no fears about miscarrying. These babies are totally here to stay. I’ve started reading my twin books, and being armed with info definitely makes me feel better. My goal is to gain 25 pounds by week 20! Go me!"

And then I was done with Emory and transferred over to Dr. Cook, who gave me an additional anti-nausea prescription which I'm still taking at 25 weeks!

On Tuesday, Nov. 12, 2013 we found out the gender:

"ULTRASOUND THIS MORNING. I am so nervous for every ultrasound, and Greg laughs at me everytime. I keep thinking they’re going to be dead or malformed or something terribly wrong. Nothing was wrong. They are both right on track, and we found out the gender! Lynn told us the first baby was a boy. I almost started crying, I was so happy to be getting a boy! And then she moved to the next baby who was being shy and I was silently praying, “Oh little girl, please be my little girl, I need one more little girl.” And then the legs opened up and there it was – a girl!!! I was so happy! I got exactly what I wanted. Not only am I happy, but I feel excited about having twins. If I’m going to have two at one time, at least I’m getting the genders I want! Now I can use all of Julia’s old clothes for the girl, and we still get a boy as well. I think there will be less competition between the two, and it was really the best answer possible. Greg couldn’t believe I used the words “happy” and “excited.” I really do feel both of these things!"

Hindsight is always 20/20. How many tears could have been stopped if I'd known the near future had 3 beautiful children in store for me. It's been a rough journey since I began this blog, but I am happy to say we have had a very happy ending to our fertility trials.


The End!

No comments: