Saturday, June 18, 2011

Follistim Fiasco

Quick update: Ultrasound was fine today. Not a whole lot of growth, and they said I'm not "ready" yet. Looks like more stimming for me. Bee took my blood (I'm so glad she works on Saturdays) and was able to get it out of my roller right arm vein with one shot. Go Bee!

When the nurse called me this afternoon to give me instructions, she told me to CONTINUE taking 225mg of Follistim in the morning, and 225mg of Follistim at night. I said, "I'm sorry, what? I've never taken Follistim in the morning." She said the directions she was looking at said I was supposed to start taking Follistim in the mornings as of today. I told her I may have misunderstood the directions, but that I'm pretty sure I wasn't told that. Yesterday, Lois and I discussed dosing over the phone and counted out 4 days worth 225mg of Follistim a day to figure out how much more Follistim to order. We didn't calculate 450mg per day! I don't get it.

I don't really trust this nurse. It's not Lois, and I have never met this woman. But at my insistence that the directions were wrong, she called the Dr. to find out. Dr. Brown says yes, I was supposed to take Follistim this morning. I did not.

Since I missed the dose this morning, the Dr. said to take 300mg tonight, and then take 225mg tomorrow. I hope I ordered enough Follistim to last the rest of the stimming, but I'm doubtful now. We shall see.

I don't think it's really a big deal, but let me tell you, when the nurse told me I was supposed to take a shot this morning and I hadn't, I felt a major shot (no pun intended) of anxiety run through me and my whole New Hope history flashed before my eyes!

Seriously people, can't we get some written instructions? Not all of us are good listeners!

3 comments:

Jenean said...

Yay for Bee! Glad she was there too! And I don't think it's so much you're not a good listener, some people aren't so good at giving oral directions. :)

Dedee said...

That's crazy, but don't worry about it to much. Like I told you I over dose 150mg twice in three days and it all worked out. That's why I write everything down and repeat it back to them so they can't say "well that’s what we told you". I think you really have to watch Dr offices close, they have too many patience. Remember stay calm and relaxed. ;)

Geoff, Amanda and Katherine said...

Well, better to take longer to stimulate than hyperstimulate ;>) It will work out.